Monday, October 22, 2007

R-H-I-N-E-B-E-C-K



I just looked at my comments, and V was asking if I had something to say about the Sox and Rhinebeck. Yes I do: I'M SO TIRED!!!!! (But in a really good way.)
So about the Sox, We're off to the World Series. I'm going to bed early tonight and tomorrow so that I can "save myself" for the late nights that are coming. I'm totally psyched, and went into work today wearing my Red Sox hat and Red Sox wind breaker, while carrying my Red Sox mug and my keys on my Red Sox key chain. (On opening day the schools around here had "wear your Red Sox stuff" day - and my husband begged me not to wear my RS underwear because he knew that I would be tempted to show it off - he was SOOOOO right. People commented on the enormous amount of paraphernalia I had on, and I told them all about my husband's underwear ban. I married a VERY smart man!)
Now on to Rhinebeck. OH MY GOD! It was so incredibly, totally and insanely phenomenal! I had been hearing that it was totally fabulous and let me tell you it is all true. I went with Yarn Safaris - Fantastic Fieldtrips for Fiber Fanatics. In August my friend from my knitting group and I, signed up for Peta's (the owner of Yarn Safaris) day trip to Rhinebeck. She ended up getting 100 people, (2 coach bus loads) to sign up. I was so incredibly pumped up for this! I told everyone, and got a lot of grief from most people. My co-workers kept telling me that there were going to be a bunch of blue hairs on the bus, and that I was crashing some senior citizens outing. I just looked at them and said, "I can't even respond, you are SOOO off base!" (We can talk to each other like this, because we're teachers and have been working together for almost a decade).
When I called my husband to see how he was doing with the girls I could hear the tentativeness in his voice when he asked, "Is it as good as you thought it would be?" (I know that he was thinking that I was going to be greatly disappointed because I had built it up so much in my mind.) So, when I responded, "It is, it really is!" He was very pleased.
I had been to state fairs before, but this one is so classy. There are stalls and stalls of fine yarn vendors. There was also a lot of spinning fiber, which I am going to put off for now. (I have a hard enough time going from yarn to product, I can imagine having to go from roving to yarn to garment, or even before that.)
I ran into some people that I knew from Boston, and met some other really fantastic people on our bus (I would say the average age was 35, thank you very much!) My friend that I went with was a fantastic travel buddy. We would separate for an hour or so, get together and eat, check in or have coffee and then go our own ways again.
I totally fell in love with Brooks Farm Yarns from Lancaster Texas. I also got some yarn from Oak Grove Yarns and Blue Ridge Yarns. This was just an amazing day, and I am actually pleased that I showed some restraint. It was an expensive day. Definitely not a day for saving money, but so totally worth it.
So now, I am extremely exhausted, VERY happy, and very pleased to go into work today and before even saying hello to my beloved co-worker (and she really is) I just looked at her and said, "You were SOOOO wrong!"

P2K

4 comments:

Catherine said...

Hehehe, I'm so tired too!! I hope you are catching up on your sleep. Tomorrow is a biggggggg day!

I also loved Brooks Farms. I had my hands completely full and managed to get away with only one skein. :-P

V said...

Yay! It sounds like a ton of fun. But yeah...you need to rest up!

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Sounds like so much fun. Maybe one day I'll get a chance to go to Rhinebeck.

CynCyn said...

ra-row. you've fallen for BFY, eh? They've got some of the most beautiful colorways!! I'm glad you had a great time and that it lived up to your expectations!