Friday, January 25, 2008

Avoidance

A defense mechanism is something that we use to protect ourselves from anything that we believe (unconsciously, of course) will hurt our egos. Well I believe that I have been using the defense mechanism, Avoidance. For the past couple of weeks I have avoiding finishing this vest. I decide that I want to read, or have to clean or am too tired, or can't find the directions. It is weird, because I usually knit two or three hours every night, and lately I've hardly been knitting at all.
I realized I was doing this, because sometimes finishing is tough because when you start a project you think it is going to be fabulous, and then once you have really gotten to know the project, and spent so much time with it - like any relationship, you see the flaws. However, if the project is never finished, you never have to show those flaws to the public. That perfect piece that everyone wants to see is "not quite ready yet."
So I decided to finish this vest and I did, but then the right shoulder looked awful - it poked out like I had kept in on a hanger. I tried re-blocking, sewing stitches together and then just realized that I had not spaced my picked up stitches well, and tore the arm band out.
I'll finish this vest soon - but not tonight, I think I going to organize my stash!

All the best,
P2K

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! Have you ever been thinking about something, and then happened to stumble upon an article about just that thing? That's how I feel right now. For the last couple of weeks I've occasionally thought about how I lose momentum at the end of a project, and why. I came to the same conclusion that you did. In my head, I deemed the finishing of a project as "the moment of truth". As in, will it live up to everything I thought it would be? And I realized I often try to avoid that "moment of truth" if I have any doubts about it.
P.S. I found your blog through you leaving a comment on mine. And now I'm glad you did. =) It seems we think alike.