Thursday, May 24, 2007

Eye Candy from the 80's

There was a thread on the knitlist a few weeks ago about when we started knitting. I have been knitting since I was about 12. Mostly self taught, but my mom paid for my yarn. Her belief was that if you were going to spend so much time on something, it should be of good quality. Fortunately (or unfortunately when I look at my Mastercard bill) I still subscribe to this philosophy. I started a bunch of sweaters, but never finished one until this grey one. The yarn is still really nice, I wish I knew what it was. The hot pink is mohair. I still wear it even though it screams Cyndi Lauper and Madonna in her "Like a Virgin" phase!


My other sweater that is still in the rotation from this era is this one:
I wore it for the first time in years, just the other day, and my coworker thought it screamed the '80's as well. I just think I had a thing for pink triangles! This one is made from a bumpy cotton and I remember the fuzz getting in my nose! After this sweater, I didn't knit in cotton again until about this year!

After these 2 sweaters, which took about a year each (I was in college at the time) I knit 4 more sweaters. 3 of which were for other people. I did that in about a 2 year period of time, and then I put down the needles in favor of needlepoint for about 10 years. This was also before kids, and I used to spend a lot of time playing Yahoo games. Now I knit about 10-20 hours a week. Especially while watching baseball!
Thanks for all of the previous comments. I can't tell you how great it is to know that people are out there!
P2K

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those are fantastic! I didn't start knitting until a few years ago, so I didn't make anything like that. But my boyfriend's mom has some pattern books and magazines from the '80s, and there are some awesome patterns in there!